Import your csv, xlsx, and xls files
Before you import, make sure that your data is in csv, xlsx, or xls file format and that they have been properly prepared.
- Click Contacts from the left-hand panel
- Click the Import button
- Select import type
- For a CSV file either click to upload or simply drag your file and drop into the Import window
- For an Excel file (xls or xlsx) spreadsheet with multiple tabs, you can indicate the one you want to import. Note that you can't add multiple tabs of data at once.
Your post-import contact count
The post-import displays the total count of existing contacts in your Keap app against the threshold of contacts allowed in your current contact package.
Fields will automatically map to your Keap fields. However, if there are fields that cannot be matched match the Keap fields on the right to your CSV file columns on the left.
Click the "Show matched fields" link at the bottom of the screen to view the auto matched fields
See sample data below CSV field on left side of field mapping pair
CSV File display
In the top left corner of the field-mapping screen, it will display the name of the uploaded CSV file. Use this as a reference for what file you are working while matching fields.
Create custom fields on the field mapping screen
- Click the Create custom fields option in the drop down menu
- The name of the header in the CSV will automatically be added as the name of the custom field
- Text will default field type
- Click the drop down to select your field type
- Click "Save"
The custom field is created and the data in the CSV will auto map to that field when the import is completed.
- Click "Next" at the top right
- Duplicate Contact checking based on the email address and will happen automatically; contacts with the same email address will not get imported twice.
- Contact info is updated/replaced when importing CSVs with an existing email address
- You can locate a drop down item in field mapping by typing the word of the field that you want to map i.e. You want to quickly find "tags" you can start typing it with the drop down open and will be taken to that part of the list.
The last step is to indicate if you have Explicit permission to send marketing emails.
- If you do have permission check Yes (Make sure to review the Acceptable Use Policy)
- If you do not have permission check No (You can send emails directly through the contact record but wouldn't be able to send bulk emails from an Email Broadcast or Campaign sequence) until your contact opts in.
You can automatically tag contacts upon import by either choosing:
- An existing tag
- Or creating a new one on-the-fly
- Click Finish Import when you're done
Click the View contacts to pull up your imported list of contacts
Pro-Tip! By clicking "View contacts" you can then quickly send a broadcast or add to a campaign. To learn more, click here
You can use our import tool to update multiple existing contacts already in your application based on their email. To update your contacts, create a .csv, .xlsx, or .xls that includes the contact's email and any other information you wish to update, then import the file as normal.